To start your research.
- You will need a pen and paper or computer.
- Put down as many dates and names that you know.
- Then start talking, writing, emailing your family.
- Ask for help filling in the holes. But remember, you want more than dates.
- Help older family label photos. Label your own photos.
Take little steps. You can’t do it all at once.
- Think of stories about your parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, and others. Write them down.
- If you can get anyone to write stories or help with the research all the better.
- Visit birthplaces of your relatives. Visit relatives.
- Learn what questions to ask and how to ask them.
- Have a recorder or video camera, or cell phone with you whenever you are with someone who may have information.
- Get a genealogy computer program.
- Use it to help you organize your information.
- The sooner you do this, the better off you will be.
- Learn to use the computer to help with your research.
- Learn about web sites that will help you.